|Campus Description: Stony Brook University has established itself as one of America's most dynamic public universities, a center of academic excellence and a leader in health education, patient care and research. Listed among the top 1 percent of all universities in the world by Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Stony Brook is home to more than 24,000 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff, including those employed at Stony Brook Medicine, Long Island's premier academic medical center and teaching hospital. With 597 beds, Stony Brook Hospital is the region's only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory. |
|Descriptive Title: Patient Care Technician (Temporary)|| REF#: HS-R-7969-13-07-F|
|Budget Title: same as above|| Research Foundation Support Position|
|Department: Dental School/School of Dental Medicine, Faculty Practice|| RF Line#: R0582000|
|Grade: N.4|| Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC|
| Salary: $30,000 - $35,000|
THIS POSTING IS NOT CURRENT !!!
Required Qualifications: High School Diploma or equivalent. One year of directly related full time experience in a dental office. Good writing skills, proficient in computer and x-rays. Experience and training with dental instruments and four handed dentistry, and OSHA regulations. Knowledge of infection control procedures and sterilization procedures.
Preferred Qualifications: Bilingual Spanish.
Brief Description of Duties: The Patient Care Technician will assist dentist with patient care, recording appointments, and other clerical duties as needed. The selected candidate will:
- Handle and tend dental tools and instruments at chair side as directed by a dentist and as prescribed in guidelines in order to assist the dentist in performing dental treatment procedures.
- Note treatments prescribed and scheduled for appointment periods and prepare work area by laying out needed materials and required instruments in proper array.
- May take intra-oral-extra-oral x-rays by positioning patients, adjusting and operating x-ray equipment and developing and mounting exposed film in order to provide the dentist with information useful in diagnosis and treatment.
- During the performance of treatment procedures by the dentists, stay by the dentist at chair side, anticipate the dentist's needs and hand the dentist appropriate instruments as instructed and use knowledge of the procedures being performed.
- During the performance of treatment procedures, anticipate dentist's needs for materials such as amalgam and wax for restorations, impressions, inlays, etc. and prepare these materials using standard procedures, time the preparation to meet treatment needs and brings these materials to chair side for the use by the dentist.
- As indicated by the progress of events in treatment and as instructed by the dentists, personally perform retractions of patient's tongue and cheek and manipulate syringes and suction equipment to keep patient's mouth free of saliva and blood.
- Continually observe patient's general condition during treatment including oral surgery in order to detect evidence of distress or shock; report observations to dentist.
- Post and file a variety of records including simple records of appointments and clinical records of patients' conditions and treatments administered in order to assist in planning and documenting the work of the dental team. Use information provided by the dentist and standard formats. Performs a variety of light housekeeping tasks in order to maintain the dental treatment facility in a state conducive to the work of the Dentists and comfortable for patients.
- Operate autoclaves and other equipment in order to sterilize dental instruments.
- Inventory packages and cartons of dental supplies and materials and may reorder needed supplies using standard procedures.
- Dispose of used materials and remove and replace soiled linens and other supplies.
- May clean, dust and polish fixtures and furniture in the dental facility.
- Assist dentists with specific techniques and sequences in performing dental treatment procedures in operative dentistry, endodontic, oral surgery, crown and bridge work and partial and complete denture prosthesis.
- Operate x-ray equipment safely. Use specialized equipment used in prosthetic dentistry procedures and preparation of prosthetic materials.
- Maintain aseptic conditions.
- Assist with tasks involving oral anatomy and anatomical nomenclature.
- Follow instruction and write records relating to treatments provided.
- Reassure and encourage patients who may be anxious and/or distressed.
- Quickly handle dental instruments as directed.
- Required to take the following courses and/or attend the following sessions: CPR, Infection Control and Right to Know Bloodborne Pathogens.
Other Duties: As assigned
Special Notes: This is a full time position, 37.5 hours per week. The Research Foundation of SUNY is a private educational corporation. Employment is subject to the Research Foundation policies and procedures, sponsor guidelines and the availability of funding. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. This is a temporary position for six months.
Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook University's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), clear a background investigation, submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a Research Foundation Employment Application, Resume and Cover Letter to:
Dental School/School of Dental Medicine
Rockland Hall, Room 146
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11790-8700
Fax#: (631) 632-3116
|Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 07/26/2013, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.|
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, FEMALES, MINORITIES, DISABLED, VETERANS.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
|Job Category: D) Health Service (including Physician Assistant, Patient Care Specialist).|
Posting Date: 07/15/2013
|Additional Categories: |