|Campus Description: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.|
|Descriptive Title: Special Assistant to the Director of Athletics||REF#: WC-S-8007-13-07-S|
|Budget Title: Staff Assistant ||State Professional Position|
|Department: Athletics||State Line#: 23221|
|Grade: SL-2||Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC|
|Salary: Commensurate with Experience|
THIS POSTING IS NOT CURRENT !!! Required Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree. Minimum of two years of full time, administrative or other related professional experience and excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver's License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. Applicants must submit their operator's license number on their application form for a motor vehicle check.
Preferred Qualifications: Master's Degree. Experience at a Division I institution, preferably in an athletic department setting, Human Resource search process experience, budget management, fundraising and/or athletic event experience. Experience with Microsoft Office and Gmail. An understanding of NCAA Compliance Rules.
Brief Description of Duties: The Special Assistant to the Director of Athletics is responsible for assisting the Director of Athletics with the daily operation of the Athletic Department and coordinating various administrative functions within the department. The primary responsibilities for this position, include, but are not limited to, the coordination of department search processes, intercollegiate game contracts, and various special projects as well as general office management duties. In addition, the Special Assistant will perform numerous administrative tasks as well as managing department development programs, monthly staff meetings and assisting in the organization and planning of fundraising events for the Director of Athletics. Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and Senior Management Team.
- Search Coordinator: In conjunction with the Assistant Athletic Director for Business Operations and Administration this position will be responsible for coordinating the search process for vacant Athletic Department positions. This includes, but is not limited to, accepting resumes for open positions within the Athletic Department, grading applicant’s resumes based on approved resume screening devices, working with the Office of Diversity and Affirmative Action to receive the proper approvals in the search process and assisting with interview itineraries for potential candidates.
- Office Manager: This position will perform various duties to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the central administration in the Department of Athletics. Such duties include managing the procurement of department office supplies, coordination of senior staff meetings, department retreats and development programs as well as full staff meetings. This position will also work with the Business Office in maintaining the department copy machines and multifunctional devices as well as the annual service and maintenance contracts associated with the machines. In addition this position will coordinate, disburse and manage annual review of the department policy manual and conduct monthly reconciliation of corporate Visa statements and travel expense requests for the senior management team. S/he will also be responsible for maintaining the Athletic Conference Room and Athletic Event shared calendar in Gmail, managing the Director of Athletic’s groups and contacts, being a liaison with the President’s Office, and other VP Offices on campus as well as Political offices and taking meeting minutes when necessary.
- Fundraising and Athletic Event Assistance: This position will aid in fundraising-specific events when necessary in conjunction with the department's External Services staff. This includes department golf outings, meetings/events with potential donors and all associated travel arrangements on behalf of the Director of Athletics. This person may also coordinate visits to campus for athletic events for potential donors and guests who are visiting Stony Brook. Attendance at home football and basketball games as well as other designated events is mandatory in order to assist with the above.
- Intercollegiate Game Contracts: This position is responsible for the coordination and dissemination of intercollegiate game contracts, which includes confirming date, time, and additional contracted items including complimentary tickets and game guarantee (if applicable). This process will be managed with the Assistant AD for Administration, Head Coaches and each program’s Sport Supervisor.
- Budget Management: This position will be responsible for the daily management of the department office supply budget and will track and report the expenses on a monthly basis to ensure the department remains within planned targets. This position will also assist with the processing of various approved expenses from the Athletic Director’s Discretionary account as well as the administrators travel expense accounts.
- Special Projects: This position is responsible for the daily coordination of various special projects within the Department of Athletics. Duties for this position include, but are not limited to the conducting research and generating reports for the Director of Athletics and Senior Staff relating to current trends, practices and staffing within the Division I athletic environment, researching and summarizing data on designated operations within the Conference and other projects within the department.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and Senior Management Team, as determined by rank and departmental mission.
Special Notes: This is a full time appointment, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Night and weekend work is required. Travel for professional development, donor relations, event management and other special project tasks will be required for this position.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application, cover letter and resume to:
Department of Athletics
Indoor Sports Complex
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3500
|Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 08/09/2013, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.|
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
|Job Category: L) Athletic Positions.|
Posting Date: 07/14/2013
|Additional Categories: B) Administrative and Professional Positions (excluding teaching and patient/clinical care).|