|Campus Description: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook University Medical Center is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.|
|Descriptive Title: Assistant Director of Maintenance||REF#: WC-S-7394-13-02-F|
|Budget Title: Associate Facilities Program Coordinator||State Professional Position|
|Department: Campus Operations and Maintenance (COM)||State Line#: 35200|
|Grade: SL-4||Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC|
|Salary: Commensurate with experience|
THIS POSTING IS NOT CURRENT !!! Required Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree. In lieu of degree, four years of full time directly related experience to include supervision, or a combination of higher education and experience totaling four years may be considered. Five years of full time directly related professional experience to include three years of supervisory experience relating to Building Trades and Grounds operations within a University, research or similar facility. A working knowledge of the carpentry, electrical, HVAC, plumbing and paint trades. A working knowledge of OSHA, DOH, Office of Fire Protection and Control and applicable building codes. Ability to understand facility plans and specifications. Customer service experience. Experience working in a unionized environment.
Preferred Qualifications: Bachelor's degree preferably in Engineering, Facilities Management or related field. An additional five or more years of directly related experience including an additional two years of supervisory experience relating to structural and/or building construction within a University or Hospital, research or similar facility. Well-developed verbal and written communication skills.
Brief Description of Duties: The Assistant Director of Maintenance is responsible to assist the Director of Operations and Maintenance in the Maintenance function of the West Campus. The incumbent will be responsible for four separate crews (including the weekend crew and specific building and off-site crews) under the supervision of 4 supervisors and 5 maintenance managers. Responsibilities will also include related activities such as personnel administrative functions, material ordering, work scheduling, budgeting, labor reporting, as well as contract development and management.
- Plan, organize and direct the execution of various special projects assigned by the Director and Assistant Vice President of Facilities and Services.
- Meet with individuals and groups associated with the University, dealing with a wide range of facilities issues as they develop.
- Lead COM Manager in the resolution of all Office of Fire Prevention and Control violations that are cited annually.
- Plan, organize and supervise the general maintenance, repair, renovations and modification of the University Campus Buildings.
- Direct the daily operation of structural maintenance, carpentry, painting, electrical, and plumbing maintenance through subordinate managers providing the daily maintenance and repair activities of the department in support of the academic mission of the University.
- Participate in contract negations for maintenance contract services.
- Plan work assignments, ensuring that all parts of the assignment are provided for, including work schedule, materials, equipment and work force needed within available resources in a manner that assignments may be completed in the most efficient, economical and timely manner.
- Responsible for emergency response and coordination in critical situations.
- Develop and implement safety and quality control standards.
- Ensure that health care regulations, i.e., OSHA, DOH and fire codes (and other codes and regulations that may apply) have been met.
- Ensure proper use of materials and that schedules are met and work is performed according to plan.
- Lead COM Manager to correct all violations cited by OFPC. This work requires special planning, proposals for additional funding, adherence to strict schedules and quality workmanship. If violations are not corrected, fines will be issued to the University.
- Assess services provided in order to ensure that COM effectively supports the University, health care, instructional, research and public service programs.
- Analyze facilities needs and recommend areas where improvements can be made. Assist the Director with the development and revision of policies pertaining to the provision of maintenance services. Attend meetings with members of the University staff and faculty as required to review the operations and support responsibilities of the department and in support of the academic mission and University. Plan, organize and direct the execution of various projects assigned by the Director and/or AVP.
- Complete periodic and special inspections to determine the need for work to be done on the physical facilities in order to maintain and extend their useful life. Plan for and schedule such work within available resources.
- Identify projects beyond resource capability for accomplishment via University or Capital Projects funding. Prepare prioritized recommendations for maintenance and repair projects which include evaluating building structural/maintenance and electrical systems for deficiencies and improvements.
- Supervise employees in accordance with State and University policies, including but not limited to, recruitment, training, termination, discipline and performance evaluation.
- Administer applicable union labor agreements and grievances.
- Oversee the control and schedule planned time off and monitor all unplanned time off of staff to ensure adequate coverage of all shifts.
- Represents department at hearings and arbitration.
- Provides a weekly report on exterior lighting that captures each outage of a fixture, when the outage was reported, when it was corrected, what repairs were necessary and the date it was returned to service.
- Update all fixture numbers, records and prints as lighting is added, relocated or removed. Maintain a database on this information and provide specific data when requested.
- Assist in developing department budget and monitors expenses of same.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Director and AVP.
Special Notes: This is a full time appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application, cover letter and resume to:
Campus Operations and Maintenance
Service Building 7
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-2002
Fax#: (631) 632-4564
|Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 03/08/2013, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.|
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
|Job Category: B) Administrative and Professional Positions (excluding teaching and patient/clinical care).|
Posting Date: 02/24/2013
|Additional Categories: |