|Campus Description: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.|
|Descriptive Title: Coordinator of Athletic Events||REF#: WC-S-6657-13-07-F|
|Budget Title: Staff Assistant ||State Professional Position|
|Department: Athletics||State Line#: 30693|
|Grade: SL-2||Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC|
|Salary: Commensurate with experience|
THIS POSTING IS NOT CURRENT !!! Required Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree. Two years experience in a facility operations setting plus excellent communication and organizational skills. Fluent in Microsoft Office programs.
Preferred Qualifications: Prior experience in an athletic facility setting, event management, and facilities audio-visual equipment (i.e. scoreboards, sound system, video equipment, etc.). Previous staff supervision.
Brief Description of Duties: The primary responsibilities of the Coordinator of Athletic Events are to coordinate and supervise the successful operation of all home Intercollegiate Athletic contests and of revenue generating contracted events held in the athletic facilities. Daily responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to, the hiring, training, scheduling and supervision of staff comprised of students, full time staff and contracted services. The Coordinator of Athletic Events will have direct supervision of facility graduate assistants as well as shared oversight of the full-time maintenance staff. He/She will perform personnel reviews and work with subordinates on their performance programs. This position will act as the on-site manager for select athletic contests as determined by the Assistant AD for Facility Operations and Events. The position will also work with the scheduling/special events coordinator in the management of revenue generating contracted events. It will be his/her duty to ensure that each contracted event is coordinated and all needs are provided, as well as hiring, training and supervising site managers for these events. The Event Operations Manager will report directly to the Assistant AD for Facility Operations & Events.
- Intercollegiate Athletic Event Management: The Coordinator of Athletic Events will be responsible for the successful operation of all home Intercollegiate Athletic Contests. The responsibilities will include; hiring/training/scheduling of staff needed to support contests. In addition, the Coordinator of Event Operations will be responsible for the coordination/planning and execution of all setups/breakdowns and facility needs for practices/shoot-arounds, etc. The Coordinator of Athletic Events will be responsible for securing, training, supervising on-site managers to cover athletic events and prepare event reports for those events. In addition he/she will coordinate and lead an Events Management Team comprised of Intercollegiate Athletic Department staff members. He/She will schedule, plan and lead weekly meetings of this team in order to successfully coordinate the overall management of home athletic contests. The coordinator will also be the primary conduit with all pertinent on and off campus constituents with regard to event operations and scheduling (i.e. University Police, Environmental Health & Safety, Parking Services, and Field Maintenance, Custodial and Event Management contracted vendors).
- Contracted Event Management: The Coordinator of Athletic Events will work closely with the Coordinator of Scheduling and Special Events to ensure successful planning, coordination and management of revenue generating contracted events. This will include working with promoters, students, internal and external clients to ascertain information needed for each event. In addition, the Event Manager will assign, coordinate and supervise on-site managers for each event. The coordinator will also be the primary conduit with all pertinent on and off campus constituents with regard to event operations and scheduling (i.e. University Police, Environmental Health & Safety, Parking Services, and Field Maintenance, Custodial and Event Management contracted vendors).
- Staff Supervision: The Coordinator of Athletic Events will have direct supervision of the Facility Graduate Assistants who will work as Event Managers and Building Managers. He/She will develop their position descriptions and be responsible for training, evaluating and scheduling the Managers on a daily basis. In addition, the Coordinator of Athletic Events will have daily oversight of the full-time Facility Maintenance personnel as it pertains to Athletic Events and will be responsible for their scheduling and job assignments as well as the development of their performance programs and annual evaluations.
- Budget Management: The Coordinator of Athletic Events will be responsible for the Athletic Event Operations Budget. This includes developing, monitoring/tracking expenses, generating expense reports, and forecasting overages and savings. Expenses include student staffing, rental equipment, contracted vendors, independent contractors, supplies and equipment.
- Equipment Maintenance/Care: The Coordinator of Athletic Events will be responsible for all equipment that is necessary to support athletic and contracted events (i.e. scoreboards, lighting, sound systems, etc.). He/she will need to control and inventory all equipment, assess repair/improvement needs, schedule preventive maintenance where applicable, and troubleshoot problems during and event. He/She will also work with the Asst. AD for Facilities in identifying needs and making suggestions for the procurement of new equipment when necessary.
- Security/Emergency Plans: It will be the responsibility of the Coordinator of Athletic Events to prepare and update all security and emergency action plans for athletic and contracted events. He/She will need to work with University Police, Environmental Health and Safety, as well as other internal and external organizations in order to develop and manage these plans. At the beginning of each academic year, the plan must be evaluated for accurate information and updated contacts. In addition, any significant changes over the course of the year must be updated immediately and communicated to all entities.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant AD for Facility Operations & Events.
Special Notes: This is a full time appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application, cover letter and resume to:
Coordinator of Athletic Events (6657) Search
Department of Athletics
Indoor Sports Complex
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3500
|Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 08/08/2013, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.|
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
|Job Category: B) Administrative and Professional Positions (excluding teaching and patient/clinical care).|
Posting Date: 07/25/2013
|Additional Categories: L) Athletic Positions.|