|Campus Description: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.|
THIS POSTING IS NOT CURRENT !!!Required Qualifications: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required. The Chief Information Officer will be an accomplished information technology executive with a demonstrated track record of leadership and management within higher education. Will possess outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, able to establish credibility and rapport quickly with a broad set of stakeholders and constituencies. Experience building and managing a large, high performing team is required. Candidate will be a highly consultative and results-oriented leader driven by user expectations. Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment; excellent leadership abilities; management skills with a proven record of strategic planning, change management; and budget and resource management. Strong customer service orientation, superb influencing skills, and a proven track record of setting and implementing a strategic vision for technological applications which support a highly diverse and demanding user community. The ability to effectively work with multiple University communities is paramount. Candidate will be well versed in all aspects of software and supporting hardware and networking, and be a proven leader in applying technology in a mission-critical systems environment. Expertise in large-scale program and project planning and implementation, portfolio management, IT governance, standards, methodologies, processes and procedures is essential. Critical thinking, creative problem-solving and decision-making skills are also required.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience from within a notable research-level institution.
Brief Description of Duties: Working with senior academic and administrative leaders and with technology professionals across the institution, the Chief Information Officer (CIO) of Stony Brook University will provide vision, strategy and senior leadership for the development and implementation of information technology initiatives which focus on the University’s academic, administrative, student and infrastructure technology needs. A true partner, the Chief Information Officer will drive information technology within the academic, administrative and research organizations at a strategic level where information and technology is fully leveraged to create value.
The CIO will have a broad set of responsibilities that will encompass the following:
Strategy and Leadership across the University:
· Serve as a key strategic partner to the President on his leadership team to further enhance and progress the University through innovative use of technology.
· Lead the revision of the IT strategic plan on an annual basis ensuring its coherence with the overall Campus strategic plan. Actively and consistently seek input and feedback with administration, faculty and staff to not only assess and address campus IT needs, but, with a depth of understanding of the operations of the organization, proactively introduce ways in which technology could add value to environment, experience and mission.
· As the University considers their distance learning and online academic strategy, the CIO will serve as a leader in spearheading the development and realization of this vision across the university.
· Deliver information technology products and services that serve and enhance the Stony Brook community in the areas of instructional, research and administrative computing and achieve the highest level of customer satisfaction.
· Support the use and development of information technology to enable academic innovation in teaching, learning, research and scholarship.
· Participate in strategic and operational governance processes of the University as a member of the senior management team. Serve on various Campus planning and policy making committees.
IT Team Leadership:
· Provide leadership, vision and management to the IT Department, which includes 170 plus people across Project Management, Vendor Management, Data Network Services, Teaching and Learning Technology, Communications and Information Security, to support the technology needs of academic, research and administrative organizations across the university.
· Assess and evaluate the current IT organization and structure, and augment the organization as necessary to serve the needs of the community in a customer focused environment.
· Provide day-to-day supervision, conduct performance appraisals, and delegate work assignments for all IT employees. Supervise recruitment, development, retention, and organization of all IT staff in accordance with budgetary objectives and personnel policies.
Delivery of IT Services and Support:
· In partnership with the university leaders in academics, research and administration, lead the strategic planning process and articulate and cultivate a progressive vision for information technology including the definition of system design, architecture and budget.
· Evaluate, leverage and develop existing strategic relationships between internal IT resources and external entities, including government, vendors, and partner organizations, while continuously seeking additional relationships and partnerships that could further the mission of the University. Serve as primary contact with outside vendors in the generation of RFP’s, bids, contracts, agreements and other major vendor interactions.
· Ensure continuous delivery of IT services through oversight of service level agreements with vendors and monitoring of IT systems performance.
· Establish infrastructure to support and guide divisions and departments in computing and information technology efforts.
· With a passion for technology and emerging trends, ensure that the University remains current and competitive with respect to IT infrastructure and services. Identify, pursue and evaluate innovative information technologies to be assimilated, integrated and introduced within the University infrastructure.
· Oversee the development, design and implementation of new applications and changes to existing computer systems and software packages.
· Approve, prioritize, and control projects as they relate to the selection, acquisition, development, and installation of major information systems.
· With a user centric focus and spirit, lead and further develop the ongoing operations of the University IT Help Desk providing quality, progressive and timely support to University employees concerning hardware and software needs.
· Maintain the integrity and continued operation of the Campus network including the inter- and intra- building wired and wireless networks.
· Maintain security and privacy of the information systems, communication lines and equipment. Develop, review and certify all enterprise-wide back-up and disaster recovery procedures and continuity plans.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police