|Campus Description: Long Island’s premier academic medical center, Stony Brook Medicine represents Stony Brook University’s entire medical enterprise and integrates all of Stony Brook’s health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. It encompasses Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, the six Health Sciences schools — Dental Medicine, Health Technology and Management, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Social Welfare — as well as the major centers and institutes, programs and more than 50 community-based healthcare settings throughout Suffolk County. With 603 beds, Stony Brook University Hospital serves as Suffolk County’s only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. Stony Brook Children’s, with more than 160 pediatric specialists, offers the most advanced pediatric specialty care in the region. |
Required Qualifications: Master's degree in Nursing, current registration as a Licensed Registered Nurse in New York State. Current New York State license as an Adult or Family Nurse Practitioner. Board Certification. Independent judgement and discretion in performing medical exams, making diagnosis and devising type of treatment to be administered.
|Descriptive Title: Clinical Instructor - Nurse Practitioner|| REF#: F-9838-17-11|
|Budget Title: Same as above|| Faculty Position|
|Department: Radiology, Interventional Radiology|| Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC|
| Salary: Commensurate with Experience|
Preferred Qualifications: Minimum 1-3 years Radiology/Surgical experience - Recent interventional Radiology experience, including prescribing, and must have excellent communication skills. Experience in working with minimal supervision in a fast paced medical practice and experience with EMR.
Responsibilities & Requirements: The Department of Radiology is seeking a Nurse Practitioner who will work with the Interventional Division Physicians, Physician Assistants, nurses and technologists in the practice to provide medical treatment plans for Interventional Radiology patients. Under the direct or indirect supervision and in collaboration with Attending Interventional Radiologists, the Nurse Practitioner will manage the Interventional Radiology patients both pre and post procedure. The Nurse Practitioner will perform all required duties necessary for consultation of the patients where a procedure is requested, manage the patient as well as perform all duties required and assigned to prepare the patient for diagnostic and therapeutic testing and procedure, when indicated.
Assists physician with interventional treatments, respond to incoming phone messages from patient and make call backs to patient, reporting response to attending physician. Make referrals to other healthcare providers and/or consult the physician for further definitive therapy, orders and evaluates appropriate non-invasive diagnostic tests and procedures. Instruct and counsels patients on health care, health maintenance, medical problems, treatment plans, nutrition or other related issues, as appropriate.
Under the direct or indirect supervision and in collaboration with the Interventional Radiologists, the Nurse Practitioner will manage the Interventional Radiology patients both pre and post-procedure. The Nurse Practitioner will perform all required duties as necessary for consultation of the patients where a procedure is requested, manage the patient as well as perform all duties required and assigned to prepare the patient for diagnostic testing and procedure when indicated.
- Take medical history on inpatients and outpatients.
- Perform physical exams on inpatients and outpatients.
- Perform procedures.
- Assessment and institution of measures to promote the ability of the patient/family to make decisions regarding patient health decisions.
- Obtain consent for procedures.
- Order lab tests.
- Order diagnostic tests.
- Perform testing for medical clearance for procedures.
- Initiating and expediting requests for consultations and assist in the scheduling of special tests and studies.
- Participate in pre and post procedure process with residents and attending physicians.
- Writing notes on all authorized procedures performed by the interventionalist.
- Screens all patient consults and provides the necessary treatment and follow-up care as indicated.
- Coordinate the pre-operative approval by third party organizations.
- Participate in patient/staff education programs which are presently in existence.
- Coordination and recording of pre-hospital evaluation for admission, all aspects of in-hospital care and discharge planning.
- Assistance to the nursing staff in the development and implementation of care plans and the formulation of nursing diagnosis based on on-going assessment data.
- Research, plan, develop and implement radiology staff development programs as needed for nurses and practice plan support professional staff on consultative basis.
- Research, plan, develop, Radiology Patient Education, as needed, for the Interventional Radiology patient population.
- Work with vendors, as needed, for new innovative and advanced procedures.
Under the direction of and in collaboration with the Attending Interventional Radiologist, the Nurse Practitioner will perform procedures and other duties as follows:
- Assist in positioning and preparing the patient for procedure.
- Assist in setting up special equipment as necessary.
- Application of dressing.
- Educate patients in post procedure, device and wound care.
Participate and take a leadership role in Radiology Department Quality Assurance and Improvement program, working in collaboration with the Chair of Radiology QA Committee. Represent the Radiology Department at the Medical Hospital QA Committee on a regular basis and present information, data and corrective action plans as appropriate.
Academic: Opportunities available and encouraged.
Research: Opportunities available and encouraged.
Special Notes: This is a non-tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State Employment Application, cover letter and resume/CV to:
Department of Radiology
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8420
|Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 02/12/2018, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.|
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police