|Campus Description: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook University Medical Center is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.|
|Descriptive Title: Assistant Registrar for Athletics||REF#: WC-S-6253-10-03-F|
|Budget Title: Assistant College Registrar||State Professional Position|
|Department: Registrar||State Line#: 30915|
|Grade: SL-3||Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC|
|Salary: $41, 155 - $51, 700|
THIS POSTING IS NOT CURRENT !!! Required Qualifications: Bachelor's degree. In lieu of degree, a combination of four years directly related, full time administrative experience and/or education may be considered. Minimum of three years full time experience with a comprehensive understanding of advising procedures, possibly in an advising role such as Athletic Administration, Academic Advising, Transfer Credit and/or Registrar’s Office. Computer proficiency to include Microsoft Office products such as Access, Excel and Word. Strong organizational and communications skills, with experience and expertise in the creative delivery of services via technology. Possess a strong commitment to customer service via an integration Enrollment Services mode. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver's License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. Applicants must submit their operator's license number on their application form for a motor vehicle check.
Preferred Qualifications: NCAA Compliance Experience including use of Compliance Assistant software. Experience using University information data systems is desirable.
Brief Description of Duties: There are three principle components to this position. The first is to provide primary programmatic leadership in the determination of continuing student-athlete eligibility and satisfactory academic progress. This includes focusing on the evaluation of student records for degree progress for student-athletes. The second is understanding and maintaining the software systems that support the business processes for compliance and NCAA certification. The third principle component, which is critical to the support of student services, are the duties that require the incumbent to become knowledgeable and proficient in providing Registrar-related business, which includes SUNY and Stony Brook enforcement of policies and procedures associated with the areas of: registration, academic records, TAP, course scheduling and registration, student groups, academic standing, combined degree, degree progress, judicial actions, etc.
- Obtain and document the academic credentials of over 400 student-athletes to ensure that they meet the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and America East Conference Eligibility rules for satisfactory academic progress.
- Follow NCAA, institutional and conference specific regulations as they deal with registration, academic records, academic standing and degree progress.
- Implement systematic procedures for documenting and maintaining records related to athletic eligibility certification.
- Maintain and keep current a Production Calendar with appropriate tasks, deadlines and reporting needs. The Production Calendar, when created and updated, will be reviewed and commented upon by both Athletics Certification Officer and Registrar to insure both areas of operations (Athletics and Registrar's Office) needs are being met.
- As administrative support, monitor students degree progress within the Registrar's Office. Responsibilities include: communication with academic and administrative offices regarding student degree certification and acting as a liaison between the Athletic advisors and University curriculum committees.
- Maintain current database/knowledge of all NCAA, institutional, conference and state rules and regulations that relate to student-athletes. Yearly conferences must be attended.
- Serve as the liaison and work cooperatively with the Athletic Compliance Officer in assuring timely review and accurate analysis of each student-athlete's satisfactory progress.
- Student-athletes' status will be maintained and kept current in both the student database system (PeopleSoft) and Athletics Compliance software, (CAi) . Accuracy and timing must be considered at all times to insure compliance.
- Registrar's Office Customer Service Support: Will be required to use the broad understanding of University Policies and Procedures, deadlines, etc., as it relates to student records, registration, graduation, transcript production, course offerings, etc. This knowledge is essential for incumbent to support the student customer service area of the Department.
- Will provide advising support to the Degree Certification area in the Registrar’s Office. Student-athletes will be the focus of this support. Will work side-by-side with the Certification area staff to ensure that decisions regarding graduation approvals are based on University rules and regulations and that students are advised correctly.
- Will create and deliver training sessions/presentations related to guidelines, policies, procedures and legal ramifications of violations to FERPA (Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act). These sessions will be delivered to University academic, administrative office, faculty, instructors and graduate teaching assistants who have access to student records. This includes offices such as: Enrollment Management, East and West Campus administrative and academic offices, School of Medicine, Accounting, Alumni Affairs, etc.
- Maintain all training session materials, handouts, presentations, etc. H/she will work closely with the Training Director of the University's Human Resources Services Department at developing an ongoing online, required training program for FERPA education. In this effort to move toward compliance education for the Campus community, both offices will work closely with current and all new personnel to ensure required training is administered, refresher educational training is provided, etc.
- Provide support with PeopleSoft security. This includes setup and security access for the Student Administration/Student Records system. Assist with security profile/groups creation to support PeopleSoft users. Support the creation of security-related documentation.
- The Assistant Registrar will provide support for the Course Catalog module, which serves as the foundation of the Scheduling module. The Catalog module also drives the functionality of scheduling and enrollment and supports student records as well. H/she will assist with the development, functionality and oversight of the validation reporting process, which is an essential monitoring mechanism for these interrelated modules, as any inconsistencies or errors that are not detected would have an adverse effect on registration, records, grading, etc. It also plays in important role in the semester rollover process, which is coordinated with the University DoIT programmers.
- Will function as a backup for the Summer/Winter areas. The Assistant Registrar will electronically process Summer Sessions and Winter Session undergraduate visiting student applications.
- Other duties as assigned as per the Registrar and supervisory staff.
Special Notes: This is a full time appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Travel will be required for this position. Occasional evenings, nights and/or weekend work may be required.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Search Committee Chair
Assistant Registrar for Athletics (6253) Search
Indoor Sports Complex
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3500
|Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 04/26/2010, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.|
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
|Job Category: B) Administrative and Professional Positions (excluding teaching and patient/clinical care).|
Posting Date: 03/28/2010
|Additional Categories: |